Thursday, May 6, 2010

Northern Delights


 


NHL Hockey play offs.... Funny, you know I'm watching the ice of the warm cities and living in the warmth of the  Northern spring. Yes the temp here is as far below zero as the temp at home is above zero. BUT the cold is more comfortable here than the icy wind off Chedabucto Bay at this time of year. The sun is bright warm despite the chill of the snow underfoot.

It occurred to me last night that I haven't seen a cell phone since I left home two weeks ago. In that time we got to experience a little of the life of a small northern hamlet where the earth greets the midnight sun. At this point in time it to gets bright at 2:30 AM and you can read your watch outside at 11:30 PM. The time of day which messes me up the most is supper time. We can be eating at 8:00 and it feel like 5:00 and the evening just starts so much later.

We have had the opportunity to meet Tara's students,experience throat singing,country food, loonie/toonies,the famous weave and print shop of Pang, a fishing derby (see Jim's blog) http://hanginpang.blogspot.com/, an abundance of Inuit artisans but today what took our breath away was a hike almost to the top of Mount Duval, more than 5000 feet above the hamlet. We tried to take pictures but none of them can capture the color or the grandeur. We plan to go out again before we leave and work our way to the top.

Another treat for me has been the gift of an Asthanga Yoga Class here in Pang, offered by a lovely young woman from Cape Breton ...It is a challenge for me and I love it. Michelle (our instructor) took her training from TAYS (Therapeutic Approach Yoga Studio) in Halifax! ...small world or what? Get this ....the class is 2 nights per week and is just across the street from me.

I was delighted to hear that there was a good turn out for the May yoga program at home. My thanks go out to Nancy who is filling in for me and I know she will fall in love with this wonderful group just the way I did.
Miss you guys and I look forward to continuing the classes when I get home.

To all my friends in Haida Gwaii I look forward to connecting with you again when we visit in August through September. I've been following the news through the Observer each week ....love to hear from you ladies! I think of you all the time.

Love and light
Chris

1 comment:

Jim said...

Great posting, Chris!